Endocrinology is one of the most developed fields of medicine in Israel, particularly at Hadassah where patients get an accurate diagnosis at an early stage of disorders of the endocrine glands, which allows to achieve an absolute cure in 98% of cases.
DISEASES SUCESSFULLY TREATED AT HADASSAH
- benign and cancerous tumors of the adrenal glands, thyroid gland, hypothalamus, pituitary gland.
- metabolic syndrome.
- acromegaly, gigantism, hypogonadism
- insulin-dependent diabetes and non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.
- complications of pregnancy and diabetes.
- unstable and resistant hypertension.
- thyroiditis and hypothyroidism.
- chronic adrenal insufficiency.
- hormonal disorders, obesity.
- diseases of the thyroid gland, as well as parathyroid glands.
- pituitary adenoma.
- polycystic ovaries.
- Itsenko-Cushing’s disease, Addison’s disease.
- metabolic bone diseases: osteoporosis, deforming osteodystrophy (Paget’s disease), osteomalacia, fibrous dysplasia, gout.
Achievements of endocrinology in Israel
The high level of treatment of endocrine pathologies in Israel is related to many advantageous factors and achievements in the delivery of medical services:
- Presence of cutting-edge technology that allows the highly precision diagnostics and effective treatment with minimally invasive methods.
- Development and implementation of unique drugs to improve the condition of a patient with neuroendocrine tumors and hormonal disorders. Thus, it was in Israel, where that a unique long-term insulin was developed in capsules, which rules out the application of frequent injections and keeps the sugar level at the same level.
- Involvement of physicians – specialists in allied disciplines with vast clinical experience as a mean to a patient-centered network approach.
- The use of the latest methods of diabetes treatment, including transplantation of insular cells. Also, today in Israel insulin-free therapy is possible with special drugs synthesized from hormones.
- Carrying out microsurgical operations in complex cases of cancerous and benign tumors, which excludes traumatization of healthy tissues and a long rehabilitation period.
- Due to the scientific, technical and of cause human resources achievements of endocrinology in Israel, the statistics are impressive: doctors can manage the patient without surgery in 75% of all cases, can use minimally invasive methods in every second case when there are usually indications for surgery, to save the thyroid gland in 80% of cases.
WHAT ARE THE MAIN PROCEDURES IN ENDROCRINOLOGY DEPARTMENT?
The treatment of endocrine diseases is carried out by a multidisciplinary team of doctors who use the most modern interventional methods of high intensity.
- intravenous infusions of bisphosphonates drugs in case of a bone mass loss.
- taking highly effective medications.
- minimally invasive endoscopic interventions to eliminate tumors.
- bariatric surgery for obesity.
- radio- and chemotherapy.
- special diets, physical therapy, phytotherapy, physiotherapy.
SPECIALISTS OF ENDOCRONOLOGY DEPARTMENT AT HADASSAH
Professor Benjamin Glaser – Head of the Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism.
Specialization: Diagnosis and treatment of diabetes mellitus, Neuroendocrine tumors and Diseases of the pituitary gland and thyroid gland
Prof. Glaser is internationally recognized as world-class expert in his specialty.
Experience: more than 37 years.
Professor Rivka Drezner Pollak –Head of the Center for Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Diseases
Specialization: osteoporosis, metabolic processes of bones and minerals and general / geriatric endocrinology.
Experience: more than 31 years.